Osteoporosis 40-Hour Certification Program – Study Questions
Yoga for Osteoporosis – Teaching and Practice
Here are the study questions for the written online test on yoga for osteoporosis. Please review the transcripts or videos in the course portal and make a list of the answers for yourself before taking the test.
The test will be given online as part of the certification process.
40-hour Yoga Teacher Certification – Study Questions
1. What is osteoporosis? What is osteopenia?
What is the difference in their formal (numerical) definition.
What is the difference in their physiological definition.
2. What are the consequences of osteoporosis?
3. What conditions are risk factors for reduced bone mineral density?
4. The physiology of osteoporosis
What happens to the composition of bone?
How does bone mineral density change over our lifespan?
What are the respective functions of the following?
5. What is Wolff’s law, and what does it tell us about bone formation?
6. What is the difference between bone mineral density and bone quality?
7. What environmental factors affect bone mineral density? In which direction (gain/loss
of bone mass?)
8. What does Wolff’s law have to do with yoga and osteoporosis?
What are the two types of forces that help build bone, according to Wolff’s law?
For what duration of time does the stimulus have to be applied to build bone density?
9. What kind of yoga is recommended for building bones, and why?
10. Which movements should be avoided in a yoga practice for those with osteoporosis, and why?
11. Compare the results of yoga with the most common medications (bisphosphonates) found in Dr. Fishman’s study on yoga for osteoporosis.
How do they each work to maintain bone density (i.e. what’s the difference in how they maintain bone density)?
Efficacy (advantages and disadvantages of yoga vs medication)
Side effects (bisphosphonates vs yoga)
Long term use of each
12. Which other factors are relevant to preventing fracture and why?
Alignment and posture