Many yoga classes speak about the benefits of hip “opening”, and yet surprisingly, the most common injuries in yoga are related to the hips – back pain, QL issues, piriformis syndrome, labrum tears, SI Joint and knee issues. This begs the question – what are we actually doing in hip openers?
It is a little mind boggling, the number of yoga teachers who have tension, tightness, aches or pain, and shrug their shoulders and say “that is just the way it is”. Many have become so used to the pain that it is as normal for them as breathing. They are right, to a point. While pain is a normal physiological process, it doesn’t have to be a normal way of living their life, or practicing yoga.
What you will learn
- Where the pain is, is not the problem. How to solve the problem that “is.”
- How to improve your ability to see what you are actually doing in poses that are deemed to be “hip openers.”
- How to improve your ability to see when and where a student is compensating – i.e. they think they are moving with their hip joint and really they are moving with their knee, back, foot, chin (yes chin) to get into a pose.
- Provide some insight on hypermobility and if hypermobility is really hypermobility (or if it is actually hypomobility)
- Show you how to get stronger and more mobile and have a heck of a lot less ache, strain, tension and/or pain.
What makes this approach unique and different
Susi’s approach is anti-guru, and instead focused on curiosity, empowerment, and self-discovery. She helps her students recognize their own needs in their body, guiding them to truly listen to what it is needed and required. In the process they witness the subtle, powerful and so important honesty that already exists in their body, and more powerfully so, they see it as distinct from the storytelling of their mind.
When they are able to recognize the realities of each, they make much better choices for themselves, and they can avoid or recover from those pesky hip issues that are so predominant in the practice.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a yoga video that Susi will create specifically for this course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 2.5 CEs with Yoga Alliance.