Imagine a time in the last week when you felt really stressed. Maybe it was during a misunderstanding with a family member, friend or a co-worker, while standing in line, sitting in traffic, checking email or watching the news. How did you feel? Chances are your heart rate was elevated, your breath was short or rapid and you were restless or ill at ease. Compound this situation over and over and you have the typical life of most adults.
Chronic stress and fear wreak havoc on your nervous system. Whether real or imagined, your body responds to threat by releasing a cascade of stress hormones that increase your blood pressure, elevate your heart rate, suppress non-essential functions like digestion and sex drive, and prepare you for battle. When this scenario is persistent your nervous system gets stuck in fight or flight mode, leaving you anxious, irritable or angry, depressed and exhausted. This takes its toll on your life, work and relationships.
Yogic tools, particularly those that emphasize the breath, are the gateway to relaxation. By learning strategies for breathing that promote clarity and calm you can diffuse the stress response – almost instantaneously. What’s more, these tools can be used anywhere and at almost any time – even when you’re interacting with others.
Join Dr. B Grace Bullock, psychologist, research scientist and certified Viniyoga Therapist in learning how tools from yoga and neuroscience can enable you to diffuse the stress response, rewire your brain and nervous systems, and become more interpersonally mindful and effective in your relationships. Dr. Bullock’s BREATHE program provides essential skills that will enable you reduce your stress and reactivity, improve your communication skills and be more effective in your personal and professional relationships.
What You Will Learn:
- How chronic stress triggers your brain and body to be primed for conflict.
- How to calm your brain and body with simple, effective yogic breath modification techniques.
- How to identify when you are feeling stressed by listening to and noting the messages that your body and emotions are sending.
- How to identify when you’re getting lost in your personal story rather than being present.
- How to discern your personal story from what is in front of you.
- How these tools can lead to better communication and more satisfying relationships.
The mindfulness skills that we learn in our yoga practice are as important to our personal growth as they are to our relationships. They provide not only insights into our behavior but important information that help us to be more patient, kind and skillful with others.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practices for Rewiring Your Nervous System: The course includes prerecorded yoga and breathing practices with Grace from the BREATHE system she has developed. The practices provide practical tools to reduce stress-induced reactivity, rewire the brain, and develop greater nervous system resilience.
- Recordings of Both Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions – both MP3 (downloadable) and MP4 (streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 2.5 CEs with Yoga Alliance.