Yoga’s whole person approach is being studied, researched and understood in a way that integrates an ancient practice with new anatomy. Bringing a neuroscientific lens into the wisdom of our design. Delving deeper into the mind/body connection.
The richness, diversity and language of yoga cues today speak mostly to correct alignment, body placement/position, breath, relaxation and intention. Advancing and enhancing body awareness through proprioception.
Interoception is how we experience body sensation. The most obvious are the sensations of distress or discomfort when thirsty, hungry, cold, hot or the urge to pee. Sensing a signal that the body is out of balance. It follows a different neural pathway to its’ proprioceptive cousin.
There are less obvious sensations that happen intuitively, implicitly and unconsciously. The signals we ignore from this “sixth sense.” The signals that can help us recognize who we are and the patterns that we find ourselves in. The signals that go beyond body awareness.
Yoga and meditation help us to recognize these subtle signals but not always as a deliberate practice.
Recent studies link interoception (the deliberate observation of body sensation) and mindfulness. Showing how mindfulness begins in the body. When you practice mindfulness in the body, you’re listening to how the nervous system responds to the conversations between body and mind.
Interoceptive awareness is conscious embodiment. Helpful in managing stress/anxiety, shifting habits, releasing tension, reducing pain and making difficult choices wisely.
Yasmin combines somatic principles, fascial anatomy, neuroscience and Mindfulness in motion to explore to cultivate Interoceptive Awareness.
What You Will Learn:
- Discover why interoception could be considered your sixth sense and how it is linked to gut feelings and intuition.
- Find the interoceptive zones in the body and learn how to tune in to them
- Learn about the role of the vagus nerve in interoception
- Learn how to enhance vagal tone and foster greater balance between sympathetic and parasympathetic activity
- Learn about the link between the chakras and interoception
- Discover how to let your body – and not your head – lead your life.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a yoga practice video that Yasmin created for this course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3.5 CEs with Yoga Alliance.