Central to the teachings of yoga is the concept of “Prana,” the universal life force that is the origin of and animates all living things, also known as “Maha Prana” or great prana.
In the human body, Prana is the underlying intelligence that coordinates all functions of the body. This universal vital force is expressed in different ways, and takes on different functions in the body. In the yogic tradition, these different forces are referred to as the five Prana Vayus, or Pancha Prana. The five vayus—Prana vayu, Apana vayu, Samana vayu, Udana vayu and Vyana vayu—function together as a wholeness, while each governing a specific area of both our physical, as well as emotional qualities and mental energies.
The aim of hatha yoga is to enliven and balance the flow of Prana in the body. Through the practices of yoga, we can develop greater awareness of the subtle energetics of prana and balance the five vayus. This lays the foundation for optimal health, and is also thought to open the gateway for higher levels of spiritual awareness.
In this course, author and yoga therapist Doug Keller takes a closer look at the yogic teachings about the vayus, and how it can illuminate and deepen our modern day yoga practice. Doug will explore with us the energetics of the five Vayus, their value and significance in yoga practice, as well as the role they play in Ayurveda, including important aspects of marma therapy.
You’ll come away from the course with a clear and experiential understanding of the Vayus, and an appreciation of how to access them in your yoga practice to carry you forward in your practice.
What You Will Learn
- The origin of the yogic concept of Prana Vayus and how it can inform our modern day yoga practice.
- The energetic qualities of each of the five Prana Vayus and the different functions and aspects of our being governed by each.
- The role the Vayus play in regulating our mental and emotional well-being.
- The significance of the five Vayus as outlined in Ayurveda and marma therapy.
- Specific postures and techniques to develop greater awareness of the five Vayus in your practice and to balance and support their function.
This Course also Includes:
- Video Practice: Join Doug for a 30 minute guided audio-visual experience of the vayus in relation to breath and central marma points of the body.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 2.5 CEs with Yoga Alliance.