Most people know that diaphragmatic breathing is important. In reality, all breathing is diaphragmatic. However, correct engagement of the diaphragm in tandem with the abdominal muscles can greatly influence your mood, concentration, digestion, heart rate, blood pressure, and many other essential keys to health.
In this online course, yoga therapist and breathing specialist Robin Rothenberg highlights new research which emphasizes the diaphragm’s role beyond respiration. We will explore the diaphragm as a primary core stabilizer and its relationship to functional movement and chronic pain. We also we examine how the biomechanics of breathing impact the nervous system, cardiovascular system, and the digestive system.
Robin will present scientifically based insights into the importance of functional breathing and will introduce a number of easy to learn techniques to assess and normalize diaphragmatic function.
What You Will Learn:
- How the diaphragm functions in the body: its role as a primary respirator, primary core stabilizer, and its influence on the nervous, cardiovascular, and digestive systems.
- The beneficial link between nose breathing and abdominal-diaphragmatic breathing, relative to mouth breathing which can drive us into chest breathing.
- The importance of the ZOA – the zone of apposition – the set of the rib-cage – and how to use it in asana as a metric for alignment of the pelvic and shoulder girdles.
- Specific techniques to develop awareness, strength and flexibility in the diaphragm to optimize breathing and core engagement.
- Linking functional breathing and core engagement with conditioning of the bandha muscles (pelvic floor, transversus abdominis, obliques and the neck core: longus coli and scalenes) for healthier movement and overall health – mentally and physically.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a yoga practice video that Robin has created for this course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions – both MP3 (downloadable) and MP4 (streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.