The yogic action of Jalandhara Bandha, while it is designed for the practice of breath retention during pranayama, contains vital insights into the subtleties of how we hold our head, and how that in turn affects our breathing, muscle tone, and even the functioning of our nervous system.
How we hold our head isn’t just important for our pranayama and yoga practice: Poor neck posture can result in numerous issues, including migraine headaches, neck and shoulder pain, problems of the wrists and elbows, and in more extreme cases, even digestive issues.
In this online yoga course, Doug Keller, founder of the Swatantrya Certification program in therapeutic applications of yoga and author of numerous highly regarded books, including Yoga as Therapy, explores the physiological significance of the neck, and show how the actions involved in Jalandhara Bandha can be used to create greater balance and openness in this vital area.
What You Will Learn
- Main therapeutic issues arising from neck imbalances and why
- Key muscles involved in common neck issues
- How to create better alignment and balance among the muscles of the neck through remedial exercises and asana
- The finer points of head alignment during pranayama, and why these are important to get the full effects of your practice
In addition, Doug explores the important subject of neck alignment in inversions, and give useful preparatory exercises that can be practiced safely, even when it is not advisable to practice the inversion itself, or place weight on the head or neck.
This course Also Includes:
- Video Practice with Doug: Enjoy a 35 minute online yoga practice with Doug, especially made for this course, in which Doug illustrates the key principles covered in the course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 and MP4), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.