Detoxification is essential for good health. Cleansing the body and mind can lead to improved strength and stamina, greater levels of energy, and a more balanced mind.
Ayurveda uses the term ama to describe the toxic residue that results from incomplete digestion and can result in stagnation – in turn creating a ripe environment for disease to take hold. Chinese medicine refers to similar concepts – stagnation, dampness, and phlegm. These disrupt normal bodily functions. Toxic residue gums up the flow of prana, or qi, in the system, the essential life energy orchestrating and coordinating all systems and functions.
Most of us think of detoxification as lengthy, disciplined, challenging fasts or cleanses. The good news, however, is that there are many simple practices you can do regularly, to prevent stagnation and reduce the build-up of toxins.
Yoga offers many practices to help reduce toxins, lighten excessive weight, and free the mind of unnecessary burdens – and not all of these involve intense, sweaty asanas.
In this course, Kristine Kaoverii Weber, founder of Subtle® Yoga, looks at the science of detoxification and yoga practices that target the digestive organs to help clear away toxins and enable better functioning. Through videos and lecture, you will learn poses, pranayamas and other practices that facilitate cleansing of the digestive, respiratory and lymphatic system. Kristine will also introduce acupressure points and self-massage techniques to assist the detoxification process.
Through lecture you will be able to:
- Describe why detoxification is critical, not just for your long-term health, but for your day to day emotional and mental well-being.
- Understand how the health of your body is related to the health of your mind and use practices to create a positive shift.
- Access practices to cleanse not just the body, but also the energy body and the mental body.
- Utilize breathing practices to help detoxify both body and mind.
Through videos you will learn:
- A specific sequence to access the detoxifying power of your nervous system.
- A specific sequence to increase your metabolism and release toxins.
- A specific sequence to purify the mind and the spirit and reduce the urge to retox.
In this first session we will look at how the body gets toxic, what toxicity does to the body/mind, and why you would want to detoxify. We will also discuss why detoxifying the digestive organs, accessing the healing power of the parasympathetic nervous system, and learning to build your agni, or metabolism, is critical to long term health. Key posture and breathing techniques that facilitate detoxification will be introduced as well as simple daily yogic practices such as tongue scraping, neti cleansing, acupressure, massage, and bathing techniques.
The causes of toxicity lie not only in our food or our environment; they can also originate from the addictive tendencies of the mind. In this second part of the webinar, we will explore yoga poses, pranayamas any other practices which detoxify the energy body (pranaymaya kosha) and the mind (manomaya kosha) and help to release mental clutter that creates a toxic burden. You will learn visualizations and mindful meditation practices to help mitigate the urge to “retox.”
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Videos: Enjoy 3 videos that Kaoverii will create specifically for this course illustrating the detoxification practices discussed during the live sessions.
- Recordings of Both Webinar Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.