Traditionally, core training has focused on muscle strengthening and not nervous system learning. However, core training really should be about learning new movement patterns, and in particular, learning how to move from our power center, notes Dr. Staffan Elgelid, P.T., Ph.D.
A yoga therapist and physical therapist widely respected for his work with athletes, Staffan’s work focuses on helping clients to build a nervous system that is robust and agile using movement and ‘smart exercises.’ This, in turn, enhances athletic performance and increases the ability to withstand the stresses of daily life irrespective of one’s previous movement experience, age or situation.
In this course, Staffan will show how new research on neuroplasticity, the nervous system, as well as sounder learning principles have changed the way we apply and progress core training.
Learn how to take core training to a new level based on the latest findings in neuroplasticity, learning, and habit formation.
Staffan will introduce his system of Smart Core training, a way to evolve core training and make it more functional. Smart Core training takes the basic core training concept and takes core training to the next level.
Smart Core training builds upon basic core training, advances it in a step-by-step way that takes core training into functional spinal positions, i.e. spinal positions that we use in real life.
What You Will Learn
- How to apply core training based on sound somatic and pedagogical, learning principles based on the latest findings in neuroplasticity and learning.
- Anatomy of the core and advanced principles for core training based on the Smart Core concept.
- How to observe your own and other people’s core patterns.
- How to advance core training in a step-by-step approach to make it more functional for you and your body.
- How to increase your awareness of the position of the spine and pelvis.
- How to apply Smart Core training to your own life.
- How to apply Smart Core training applications to enhance both yoga and Pilates.
This Course also Includes:
- Yoga practice videos: Enjoy a yoga practice video that Staffan has designed specifically for this course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions – both MP3 (downloadable) and MP4 (streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 non-contact CEs with Yoga Alliance.