Most people have some degree of scoliosis, characterized by a slight sideways curvature of the spine, which is barely noticeable. When scoliosis advances to a stronger curvature of the spine, however, it can become a debilitating condition.
Can yoga help? In this course, Dr. Loren Fishman and Ellen Saltonstall will draw on Dr. Fishman’s groundbreaking research on the effects of yoga for scoliosis and look at the evidence that yoga can bring significant improvement to scoliosis sufferers. They will discuss how to spot scoliosis in your students – and your own body – and go into details needed for performing yoga poses, particularly Vasisthasana, correctly to counteract scoliosis.
In particular, they will present a different perspective on the biomechanical factors involved in scoliosis, leading to promising new approaches to reducing or halting scoliotic curvatures of the spine.
What You Will Learn
- The different types of scoliosis and how to distinguish between them
- Best ways to determine whether scoliosis is functional or structural
- How the concept of tensegrity applies to the spine and why it has significant implications for the treatment of scoliosis
- A step-by-step breakdown of Dr. Fishman’s approach to treating different types of scoliosis
- A specific focus on how and why Vasisthasana can be particularly helpful in the treatment of scoliosis, specifics of how to practice it to achieve the desired benefits, and how to adapt it to the needs of different population
- Additional postures that may be useful and how to modify treatment according to the different types of curvatures present.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video for Scoliosis: Enjoy a 30-minute yoga practice video with Ellen Saltonstall with a yoga practice for scoliosis in which she presents a guide to understanding your curvature (or that of your clients) and a stepwise progression of pose modifications to help you or your students build up to a full Vasishtasana over time.
- Recordings of Both Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get the recordings of both sessions (MP3 & MP4 – streaming), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 2.5 CEs with Yoga Alliance.