There is promising news in the field of back pain relief: Numerous studies show that yoga practice can help reduce pain and disability in people struggling with back pain.
In fact, the American College of Physicians recently recommended that physicians should attempt to treat back pain with non-drug therapies like yoga, massage, acupuncture, or spinal manipulation before prescribing pain killers.
In this course, noted back pain specialist and yoga therapist Lillah Schwartz, author of Healing Our Backs with Yoga, shares her decades of knowledge, experience, and techniques that have helped hundreds of students relieve back pain and maintain back health.
In this course, Lillah discusses the causes and forces that contribute to back pain, and explores how to help your students (and you!) heal their backs with alignment-based yoga adapted to individual needs. The course is designed for yoga teachers and for back pain sufferers with any level of yoga experience.
In addition to the lectures, the course contains four 30-minute practice modules in which Lillah demonstrates poses that help people with differing back disturbances reduce back pain. Each practice module is unique and focuses on a particular aspect of yoga for back care.
What You Will Learn
- How to understand the forces that contribute to back pain
- Why alignment is so important to building and maintaining a healthy back
- How to gradually and efficiently build core strength
- How to reduce back pain by using the extension of the limbs to create length and space in the spine
- Facts about fascia as it relates to back pain
- Understanding pain as a subjective experience and formulas for addressing pain
- The 4 things that hold us back from healing
Practice Module 1: Key Principles for Back Pain Relief
Learn keys to balancing our posture, how to use the breath to reduce back pain, and alignment principles to foster length and space in the spine.
Practice Module 2: Exploring the Hip-Low Back Connection
Learn how to improve the range of motion of the hip joints in order to relieve stress and strain in the low back and develop a deeper understanding of your body’s individual needs.
Practice Module 3: Principles for Relieving Muscle Spasms
Learn how to apply traction and use safe twisting poses without strain to avoid or release the muscle spasms often involved in acute back pain.
Practice Module 4: Stabilize and Strengthen
For long term prevention, learn how to strengthen and stabilize the muscles along the spine and gain insight into how to maximize the functional balance of the back muscles.
THIS COURSE ALSO INCLUDES:
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.