Digestive health is considered a key to the prevention of disease in Ayurveda, the ancient Indian system of natural health. According to this system, sluggish digestion results in the accumulation of toxins in the body. This, it is further theorized, in turn affects our energy and well-being, and in the long term, forms the foundation for numerous chronic diseases.
Learn about the digestive system and how you can use yoga to improve digestive health. In this course, Baxter Bell, MD offers an overview of the organs of digestion, their basic functions and how you can use yoga to impact digestive health, from his experience as a western trained doctor and a certified yoga instructor. Dr. Bell will discuss the common digestive disorders and the early signs of digestive disturbances.
Yoga has the potential to improve digestive health in numerous ways. Yoga postures may increase blood flow to the digestive tract, and improve abdominal tone, which may stimulate the digestive organs. Via yoga’s proven beneficial effects on the nervous system, regular practice may help calm and relax the entire digestive system. Yoga also offers a way to foster healthy eating habits, another foundation for long-term digestive health.
What You Will Learn
- Basic anatomy and physiology of the human digestive system.
- The most common GI maladies that yoga practitioners and teachers should know about.
- The role of a healthy digestive system in the body’s overall health.
- The key lifestyle factors that affect long-term digestive health.
- Specific yoga practices designed to bring the digestive system into healthier balance and improve its function.
- Yoga practices that can help foster healthy eating habits by increasing body awareness and facilitating mindful, healthy eating.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Video Practice: Join Baxter for a one-hour yoga video practice in which he goes through a sequence of yoga postures particularly suited to stimulate and balance the digestive tract and organs.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.