The feet are a common problem area for people as they get older. This often becomes the source of chronic pain issues that limit our mobility and may require surgery.
Shoes constrict the feet and toes, so students often struggle to spread their toes and lack the strength to support normal arch alignment.
Improper foot and ankle alignment can contribute to foot pain, knee and hip problems, and even pain in the low back.
Just as bad, wobbly feet and ankles affect our ability to balance and retain a steady gait.
And that, in turn, predisposes us to falls and fractures – the leading causes of disability and loss of independence as we get older.
It doesn’t help that after spending a lifetime wearing shoes, many people have trouble bringing awareness to their feet, including most yoga students.
Join Iyengar yoga teacher Julie Gudmestad for a course on how yoga can help create strong, healthy, and balanced feet for life.
Learn about the most important muscles that support the foot, arch, and ankle and how to improve awareness and restore alignment to restore balance and avoid long-term problems.
What You Will Learn
- Common alignment problems in the feet and how they affect the rest of the body
- How to determine if you have foot alignment issues and how to avoid them
- How to restore healthy arches if you or your yoga students struggle with flat feet
- How to bring more awareness to the feet in yoga poses
- How to restore the healthy alignment of the feet in a variety of yoga poses
- How the action of the feet is vital in yoga poses, even in non-weight-bearing poses like inversions, Half Moon, and Warrior 3
- How the action of the feet in yoga poses helps to lift and expand the pose and brings vitality to every cell, not just the weight-bearing parts of the poses
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a yoga practice video that accompanies this course designed by Julie Gudmestad.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions – both MP3 (downloadable) and MP4 (streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note-takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.