Detoxification is essential for good health. Cleansing the body and mind can lead to improved strength and stamina, greater levels of energy, and a more balanced mind.
Ayurveda uses the term ama to describe the toxic residue that results from incomplete digestion and can result in stagnation – in turn creating a ripe environment for disease to take hold. Chinese medicine refers to similar concepts – stagnation, dampness, and phlegm. These disrupt normal bodily functions. Toxic residue gums up the flow of prana, or qi, in the system, the essential life energy orchestrating and coordinating all systems and functions.
Most of us think of detoxification as lengthy, disciplined, challenging fasts or cleanses. The good news, however, is that there are many simple practices you can do regularly, to prevent stagnation and reduce the build-up of toxins.
Yoga offers many practices to help reduce toxins, lighten excessive weight, and free the mind of unnecessary burdens – and not all of these involve intense, sweaty asanas.
In this course, Kristine Kaoverii Weber, founder of Subtle® Yoga, looks at the science of detoxification and yoga practices that target the digestive organs to help clear away toxins and enable better functioning. Through videos and lecture, you will learn poses, pranayamas and other practices that facilitate cleansing of the digestive, respiratory and lymphatic system. Kristine will also introduce acupressure points and self-massage techniques to assist the detoxification process.
What You Will Learn
Through lecture you will be able to:
- Describe why detoxification is critical, not just for your long-term health, but for your day to day emotional and mental well-being.
- Understand how the health of your body is related to the health of your mind and use practices to create a positive shift.
- Access practices to cleanse not just the body, but also the energy body and the mental body.
- Utilize breathing practices to help detoxify both body and mind.
Through videos you will learn:
- A specific sequence to access the detoxifying power of your nervous system.
- A specific sequence to increase your metabolism and release toxins.
- A specific sequence to purify the mind and the spirit and reduce the urge to retox.
The Body: What needs to be Detoxed? Reducing Ama
We will look at how the body gets toxic, what toxicity does to the body/mind, and why detoxifying is a good idea. Key posture and breathing techniques that facilitate detoxification will be introduced as well as simple daily yogic practices such as tongue scraping and neti cleansing. The practice session will provide simple, powerful practices to help you regularly and gently remove toxins or ama from your system.
Metabolism and the Digestive System: Agnisara – Cleaning Out the Fireplace
We will discuss how cleaning out the digestive “fireplace” is important for long term health. Agni, which is Ayurvedic language for digestion and metabolism, can be strengthened and optimized through yogic practices. The practice session will offer a simple, routine for cleansing the fireplace and optimizing the “fire of digestion.”
The Nervous System: Harnessing the Detoxifying Power of the Relaxation Response
It’s very difficult to make changes in the body and in dysfunctional thought and behavior patterns while in a “fight or flight” state. Being able to access the parasympathetic nervous system response is essential for detoxification, as well as rejuvenation. In this session, we will discuss how the relaxation response aids in the detoxification process and also the importance of bringing stress hormones under control. The practice session will provide a deeply relaxing sequence to help you harness the power of the relaxation response in detoxifying and rejuvenating.
Promoting the Natural Detoxifying Process with Yoga
In this session we will discuss using yoga practices to improve the function of the organs and systems which are naturally involved in the detoxification process such as the liver, kidneys, large intestine, skin and lymphatic system. We will talk about several detoxifying practices like dry brushing, oil pulling, and intermittent fasting. The practice session will include key asanas as well as self-massage including acupressure points to support detoxification.
Pranamaya Kosha: Detoxifying the energy body
The causes of toxicity lie not only in our food or our environment, but also in dysfunctions in the energy body or pranamaya kosha. In this session, we will explore the prana vayus, how they organize and distribute energy in our bodies, and how yoga practice can help improve their function. We will aexplore pranayama techniques to regulate the nervous system and help the body detoxify and achieve greater homeostasis.
The Mind: Diminishing the Urge to “Re-tox” and Building Resilience
Toxins in the body may correlate with “toxic” thoughts, addictive tendencies, and toxic cognitive, behavioral or emotional patterns (samskaras). In this session we will explore yoga poses, pranayamas and other practices to release the mental clutter that creates a toxic burden on the system. We will also discuss ways to diminish the urge to “re-tox” which sometimes arises from engaging in detoxifying practices.
Plus accompanying practices.
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Videos: Enjoy 9 videos that Kaoverii will create specifically for this course illustrating the detoxification practices discussed during the live sessions:
- Recordings of Both Webinar Sessions: Yours to keep. It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 and MP4), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.