Scoliosis affects an estimated 6 million Americans, but millions more than that have minor scoliotic curvatures of the spine, which largely goes unrecognized, but can be the source of discomfort in the spine, shoulders and sacroiliac joints.
Yoga, when practiced with insight and self-awareness, is quite well suited to working with scoliosis and the pain that it can bring. Yoga combines the power of the breath with targeted lengthening and strengthening actions into a manageable daily practice.
Join us for an online course on the therapeutic wisdom of yoga as applied to scoliosis with Doug Keller. You will learn how to recognize typical scoliotic patterns — how to observe them in your own body and in your students — and how basic classes of yoga poses and breath techniques can be used to uncoil these scoliotic patterns of posture, movement and breath.
The approach is user-friendly and can immediately be put into use. This will include:
- an overview of types of scoliosis, including the difference between functional and structural
- simple guidelines and tests for recognizing patterns that manifest in posture and movement
- specifics on how to work on each ‘side’ in yoga poses targeting the asymmetries
- suggestions for sequencing a manageable home practice,
- guidelines for monitoring your progress, with awareness of contraindications for poses.
You will finish the course with a firm grasp of the condition, and confidence in your ability to begin to work with it effectively!
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice: Enjoy a yoga practice that Doug will create specifically for this course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 – downloadable and MP4 – streaming online), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 4 non-contact CEs with Yoga Alliance.