We know that yoga can help us stay flexible and relieve musculoskeletal pain. Unfortunately, for those of us who are already tight, starting a standard yoga practice the way it is commonly taught in yoga studios can be a Catch-22: You want to practice yoga to become more flexible, but you can’t practice yoga effectively until you are more flexible.
Fortunately, there are many approaches to practicing yoga and some are more effective than others for overcoming movement restrictions and freeing the body.
In this course, yoga teacher Donna Brooks, founder of Original Body Wisdom, introduces Somatic Yoga, a style of practice accessible to everyone, which has proven particularly effective at freeing us from habits that cause movement restrictions and pain.
Somatic yoga provides an “underpinning of movement support,” so asana can be done with ease, simplicity and integrity. It accomplishes this by waking up our sensory-motor system, using natural, sequential and fluid motions. The movements lubricate connective tissue and encourage gliding, binding and sliding movements in the muscles.
This shifts the feedback mechanism in the brain and nervous system, which in turn releases muscle tension, offers new possibilities for strength and functional movement, and helps integrate the tensegrity of the connective tissue.
As a result, the body becomes more open, responsive, and adaptable to enable enjoyment in both daily life and asana practice.
What You Will Learn
- Wake up hazy or missing connections between body and brain
- Eliminate propping and collapsing – two strategies certain to keep pain and stress in place
- Relieve pain and create resilience by moving with spirals
- Enhance 3D movements essential to joint and connective tissue health
- Gain ability to distribute necessary tensions evenly through the body
- Experience how asana is built from the inside out using streaming from core to periphery and back again
- Understand the “bud” of a pose to help find what is appropriate for a student to do
- Use connective tissue as the link between fluidity and structure
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Video: Enjoy a yoga practice video created for this course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of all webinar sessions (both MP3 and MP4), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of All Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the webinar sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 2.5 CEs with Yoga Alliance.