Heart health is considered a key to the overall health and longevity. From the vantage point of Western Medicine, poor heart health is the leading cause of disease and death in the developed world. And although much time and money goes into the development of pharmaceutical and surgical treatment for disease of the heart, much less attention is given to more preventative methods of maintaining heart health.
Learn about how you can use yoga to improve the health of the cardiovascular system and the heart. In this course, Baxter Bell, MD offers an overview of the organs and structures of the cardiovascular system, their basic functions and how you can use yoga to impact heart health, from his experience as a western trained doctor and a certified yoga instructor.
Dr. Bell will discuss optimal heart health, common heart disorders and the early signs of heart disturbances you should be looking out for.
Yoga has the potential to improve heart health in numerous ways. Yoga postures may increase blood flow to the heart itself, and improve overall musculoskeletal tone, which can assist in the return of blood to the heart via the veins. Via yoga’s proven beneficial effects on the nervous system, regular practice may help calm and balance the entire cardiovascular system. Yoga also offers a way to foster other healthy habits, like improved eating habits and sleep regimens, which will positively affect heart health.
What You Will Learn
- The role of a healthy cardiovascular system in the body’s over-health and for everyday well-being
- The most common heart maladies that yoga practitioners and teachers should know about
- Research on the effects of yoga for several common heart conditions
- The key lifestyle factors that affect long-term heart health
- Specific yoga practices designed to bring the cardiovascular system into healthier balance and improve its function
- Yoga practices that are modified to address more serious illness in the heart and blood vessels of the body
- Pranayama practices that have direct and indirect effects on the heart function
This Course Also Includes:
- Video Yoga Practice for Heart Health: Enjoy a video practice with Baxter created for this course, illustrating how to tailor your yoga practice to help increase cardiovascular health.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 and MP4), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.