Like the rest of our body, the brain changes in numerous ways as we get older. What happens to the brain during healthy aging? And are there ways that we can positively influence the changes in the structure and function of the brain, much as we can with muscles and bones?
In this course, Dr. Baxter Bell charts what is currently known about the changes in the brain as we age, and what is known about techniques useful for slowing or preventing common cognitive changes. He will highlight the results from the many promising studies on the effects of yoga on cognitive functioning and memory loss, and discuss the common lifestyle factor and types of exercises that are showing particular promise in slowing cognitive decline and fostering healthy brain aging.
What you will learn
- Brief overview of healthy brain structure and function: what an amazing organ!
- Normal, gradual expected changes to brain structure and function with age
- What do we know about optimizing brain health with age from other fields?
- Yoga as a preventative practice for brain health
- Studies that highlight yoga’s role in maintaining brain health with age
- When normal aging becomes disease: the major conditions of the brain:stroke, dementia, Parkinson’s disease and more
- Yoga as an adjunct treatment to western approaches to brain illnesses
- Studies that highlight yoga’s role in addressing symptoms and course of brain diseases
- General yoga recommendations for brain health
- The future of yoga for brain health
This Course Also Includes:
- Yoga Practice Videos: Enjoy two yoga practice videos that accompany Baxter’s course.
- Recordings of All Webinar Sessions: It’s generally acknowledged that many people only retain 10-20 percent of what they learn in a workshop. You will get access to the recordings of both webinar sessions (both MP3 and MP4 – streaming), enabling you to go back and listen to the workshop as many times as you like.
- Transcripts of Both Sessions: Ever wanted to refer to a certain part of a course? Even the best note takers miss a point every so often. With the transcripts of the sessions, you can go back and refer to particularly important passages or clarify sections you were in doubt about.
This course qualifies for 3 CEs with Yoga Alliance.